Blog #2: Menudo

   Menudo





    I chose cooking as my occupation because it reminded me of my grandmother's meals that she used to make when she was alive. She showed my mother her cooking skills, which I wanted to learn to remember my culture's food. The weekends are the only time when I can learn how to cook new meals due to school and work throughout the week. Ever since I started this occupation, my mindset and identity have changed. It has shown me ways to organize my time throughout the week and ensure that I get on top of things to be completed. My history with this occupation has influenced my thinking and how it would be useful in the future. While cooking new meals, music has been my motivation for memories I had with my grandmother in the kitchen—especially cooking the meals she used to do and taking them with me. 

(My grandmother with my sister and I)

    My identity plays a role in choosing my occupation. As a full-time student, I wanted to pick an occupation that has

meaning and creates new memories since I am always stressed out. My occupational biography includes cooking, fro

m watching my grandmother cook as a younger girl to now being able to cook her meals to pass on to several generations.

This occupation is my identity to be stress-free and learn new meals that can help me prepare meals or show others in the

future. My identity and biography of this occupation have influenced me to strive and grow through any situation.


References 

    Raanaas, R. K., Lund, A., Sveen, U., & Asbjørnslett, M. (2019). Re-creating self-identity and meaning through occupations during expected and unexpected transitions in life. In The Journal of Occupational Science Incorporated, Journal of Occupational Science (Vols. 26–26, Issue 2, pp. 211–218). https://doi.org/10.1080/14427591.2019.1592011 

Comments

  1. The menudo looks so good! I personally favor pozole, but my family loves menudo. It's a classic! It was nice reading your blog this week and the connections you made between your new occupation and your family. I had a similar connection to my occupation from last week's material. What activities or dishes help you feel closer to your grandma and help in establishing that occupational identity?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts