Blog 1
Why Cooking As An Occupation?
I have recently wanted to cook new meals I have not cooked before. My grandmother told me, "Each individual has their way of cooking with their own hands." Thanks to my grandma and mom, who have both inspired me to cook. When my grandmother was alive, I would always admire her cooking and how much work she put into it. She would not let me help her from a young age that I was, but she allowed me to look at her cooking and taste new spices or salsas that she made. My mother is the same way. She enjoys cooking homemade meals from the family and never once complained about cooking. Especially after a hard and long day of work, she always prepared home-cooked meals, and I always wondered how to make meals from different cultures. I never saw it as a stressor but a distress from the reality of this world. Coming from a family where homemade meals are the best, I knew that cooking as my occupation would allow me to learn new meals and use them for my future patients. Bringing new cultural foods that I have not made before excites me because some come from my culture and others that my mother has made. Most of all, it means how I can share meals that my grandmother made before she passed away.
This picture is how the enchilada sauce is made!!
Ingredients
- Chile Guajillo
- Water
- Salt
- Garlic
- Chicken breast
- Tortillas (Corn)
- Cheese
- Onion
Space and Place
As I started my new occupation, I was emotionally happy to be able to cook recipes that I thought I could not cook. My space would always be my parents' home in Oregon. The kitchen is not just a place but a feeling of belonging and comfort. It is where everyone unites, and magic happens. In the article of Delaisse, Huot, and Veronis, "Place-making is defined as the process in which humans transform physical spaces into socially relevant and meaningful places" (Johansson et al., 2013, p. 114). A comfortable place where I can easily allow myself to do new tasks that are enjoyable.
In the article, Hasselkus includes the place as a "container of experiences." While far from home, the new occupation I choose connects with what I will always hold in my heart: my grandmother's cooking. The kitchen I see back at my parent's home is a treasure trove of memories, reminding me of when I would assist my grandmother in grabbing pots, pans, etc. Whenever I get the chance to go back to Oregon, I make sure that I cook in the kitchen because it holds a memory that I will always keep in my heart. Rediscovering and embracing my cultural meals in this familiar space is a joy I can't wait to share with you all. Even though my grandmother isn't here anymore, cooking holds a special place in my heart, in my parents' kitchen, where I have the best memories.
References
Delaisse, A., Huot, S., and Veronis, L. (2021). Conceptualizing the role of occupation in the production of space, Journal of Occupational Science, 28:4, 550-560, DOI: 10.1080/14427591.2020.1802326
Hey Veronica! That enchilada sauce looks AMAZING!!! I'm curious, where do you plan on getting your ingredients for your dishes? I know some ingredients for more cultural foods can be found at the standard grocery store but are specific places in the valley you'll have to go to to get fresh/authentic ingredients? Can't wait to see what else you make! <3
ReplyDeleteHey Victoria!!
DeleteThank you so much! Honestly, you can get everything at Winco or Walmart because they do have a hispanic section wherre the stuff can be at. If not, I go to Hispanic stores and try to find the Chile which are located in Boise, Nampa, or Caldwell.