Blog #3: Tacos

My new occupation has been going well, with many distressed cooking sessions that make me feel good. It has been a busy week of school, with quizzes, exams, etc. Thankfully, my boyfriend's mom was able to help me with the homemade taco meal. My mother was ill and couldn't have the energy to guide me. I can follow directions on how to cook the meat because each individual has their own seasoning and flavor—cutting lettuce, onions, and limes to have flavor while savoring the tacos. This occupation has taught me to be precise and enjoy cooking. I hope to learn how to make homemade tortillas soon!!! 

Being able to cook new meals that I have not done has been an occupation that is the sense of my occupational well-being. I have a sense of accomplishment when I can follow directions and complete the meal—especially working towards what I love to do, which is cooking in my free time. The anticipation and excitement of trying new recipes and being able to share them with others in the future is a driving force in my cooking journey. The blogs with each meal I have made allow me to reflect on what I am learning and engaging. Something that I can look forward to doing without making an excuse that pushes me not to work on it. 

In a thought-provoking article, Hasselkus and Murray discuss the concept of well-being as the factor that determines an individual's sense of purpose and meaning in life. They argue that occupations, the activities that describe an individual's identity, are crucial in shaping their well-being. According to their research, engaging in new occupations can positively impact an individual's well-being. It motivates individuals to have the full capacity to keep going with the new occupation and to have more positivity in their engagement and identity. 

References

Hasselkus, B. R., & Murray, B. J. (2007). Everyday occupation, well-being, and identity: The experience of caregivers in families with dementia. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 61, 9–20.

Comments

  1. Hi Veronica! Those tacos look amazing. I am jealous that you enjoy cooking, and that it is something that facilitates your well-being! I view cooking as a chore, but I hope to get better at it so it becomes an enjoyable activity. Does cooking by yourself or with other people facilitate your occupational well-being more? Is cooking a stress reliever for you during challenging or busy weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can finally say that I know how to make amazing tacos. To answer your questions: Yes, I can cook alone or other people to facilitate my occupational well-being. It brings me peace to cook because it reminds me of my grandmother and how cooking can make me forget about anything negative. It brings me a distress because when I cook, I blast my music to enjoy the enviornment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts