Blog #11: Quesadillas

Everything is going great with my occupation. I have decided to make the most classic, easy homemade meal: quesadillas. I am creating a recipe book for my future and future family members. I had a great time making food with my mother throughout this time. Thanks to her, I have the confidence to make new meals.
Growing up, family gatherings always revolved around the kitchen. My grandmother, a warm-hearted woman with hands that seemed to always cook anything taught my mother and I that cooking is more than just preparing food. It was a language of care and connection. Watching my mother and grandmother craft food brought me joy, which is now my chance to show my culture and various types of foods. Now, as an adult, cooking meals has a true meaning. It is a way to slow down in my busy world and reconnect with my roots. I used to experiment with my grandmother's food and only did so well once my mother showed me how to cook. Combining them with new techniques and flavors that bring joy to the family. Each dish I have prepared is a tribute to my family's story and a way to keep their legacy.
Choosing occupational therapy as a career has given me the values I found in cooking: fostering connections, creating meaningful solutions, and nurturing others. I have learned to adapt therapeutic approaches to meet the unique needs of my future clients. Cooking has shaped my outlook and reminded me daily of the importance of blending care and cultural awareness.
Veronica, your quesadillas look amazing! Did you make the guacamole and salsa homemade? Your grandmother's words that cooking is more than just preparing food, it's a language of care and connection is inspiring. Growing up, I wasn't taught how to cook, and trying to integrate that as I get older has been a challenge. However, I do agree with your grandmother, learning to cook for my boyfriend and me has brought a new connection to our relationship.
ReplyDeleteHey Summer!
DeleteThank you for your comment! I did make the guacamole and salsa homemade! It was delicious since I do not eat so much tortilla. Cooking builds great connections unexpectedly and make everyone united. It reminds me during thanksgiving where my grandmother will be with us and enjoy the time together as family eating and cooking. It is never too late to learn how to cook because I can tell you as a 24-year old, I am finally learning new cooking skills.